Makan-Makan Adventure

Don't know where to eat? Wanna know where to find GOOD Malaysian Food?? Follow us to our culinary adventure...come back for new postings!

Friday, January 11, 2008

Tom Yam Steamboat @ Menjalara

If you stay in Kepong, this Ketam Seafood Steamboat Restaurant should not be new to you. The restaurants is very popular that if you go after 7:30pm during weekends, there will no empty tables left!

shop

I personally LOVE their tom yam soup! Looks can be deceiving. The soup might not look THAT hot & sour to you...but wait till it start boiling...HA! That is why I usually go during rainny days, so that I don't sweat that much :D It is too sour & spicy that I have to also order the clear soup for my friends.

steamboat

It's RM16.80 per head and these are what you will get. There are some ala carte for you to top up too.
Tips: My friends & I always order 1-2 pax less than the actual persons eating. Otherwise cannot finish.

set noodels

 

The chili here is one of its kind. Mix the read (less spicy) with a bit of green one (spicy hot) and stir them. I invented this way of eating...ahem! chili

 

chic wing Chic wing chili
Chic wing stall This bbq chicken wings stall outside of the restaurant is a MUST TRY! The skin is dry-to-crispy. And yet the meat is still juicy! Eat with the special made chili sauce....BEST bbq chicken wings I ever tasted. You will definitely come back for this :-)

 

One thing not good about this restaurant is, the tom yam soup not everyday same standard. Sometimes it can be not so sour & spicy but most of the time it's delicious :D So if your first visit does not seem to give you the effect like I described here, please consider to go back again ya.

How to get there?
The restaurant is at Menjalara. Turn into the road opposite the 2 petrol stations, the restaurant is on your left.
Food: Spicy & sour tom yam soup, best BBQ Chicken Wings!
Ambience: Kopitiam style. 
Price: Cheap
Recommended by: Friend

9 comments:

firethorn said...

looks very similar to the shop I go near the Cheras roundabout. I think it's also called Ketam Steamboat. Well, at least the ingredients and the chilli look quite similar!

The Cheras' shop is opposite Tesco Extra (used to be Makro). There are actually about 2-3 seafood/steamboat restaurants there.

GiLLian said...

Yeah there are the same.

Hey you're quick! Got your comments within minutes after I posted this :-)

firethorn said...

haha..just happen to read it right after you posted it gua.. :P

BoboPeanuts said...

I would prefer Ho Ho Steamboat than this. There is also another Ho Ho Steamboat branch open in Menjalara as well.

Christina Kim said...

I have also heard so much about this steamboat too!! I am wondering how good it is...thanks for your review!:D

NT said...

I like Ho Ho too..in sri petaling..

PharDeRa said...

I think they are getting worse. Standard so different from last time, still so many people dining there...

Anonymous said...

This steamboat outlet doesn't seem to be there anymore. Anyone knows where they have gone to?
I love their tom yum soup too :)
It is the one which has another steamboat restaurant directly opposite it right?

GiLLian said...

My friends go there almost every week and the last time they were there should be in April. It would be a big surprise if it's no longer there. Yes...you recognize the ship with their pink (or is it yellow now? Can't remember.) table cloth.